Friday, January 27, 2012

A Meal With Jesus by Tim Chester

A Meal with Jesus: Discovering Grace, Community, and Mission around the TableimageA Meal with Jesus: Discovering Grace, Community, and Mission around the Table by Tim Chester
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

MY REVIEW:

I have always known that The Son of Man came to "seek and save the lost" but never have I thought about The Son of Man coming to eat and drink as found in Luke 7:34. In this short, yet very thought-provoking read Tim Chester digs into the book of Luke to show us how Jesus used meals as more than just a time to nourish His body but rather a time to feed the souls of many. Using the example of Jesus, Chester exhorts us in 6 chapter to apply the service of hospitality in our own lives to minister to the church and to the lost.

I personally loved the overall emphasis of this book and I walked away with a new perspective and understanding of Jesus' earthly ministry. Reading A Meal with Jesus challenged me to rethink my purpose in hospitality and convicted me to use this ordinary tool more often in sharing His grace with others. The message of this book is powerful and fresh.

This book gets 4 stars because of it's content and I highly recommend it. It's a rather short read at 143 pages long. (Contrary to what Goodreads.com says of it being 160 pages.) However, I found it a challenging book to read. Although it is only 6 chapters long, they were to me packed way too full and were not as succinct as they could have been. I frequently lost focus as he seemed to jump around a lot and make a simple point more wordy than necessary. While I personally don't have a problem with this, I feel bad in that more people would probably pick this good looking book up, begin to read it, and finish it if it was a bit less wordy. My challenge to you is for you to grab a copy and see for yourself. And if you agree with me, let me encourage you that is indeed worth pushing through to enjoy the whole book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We want your feedback! Please share your thoughts and opinions with us!

Related Posts with Thumbnails