Friday, August 19, 2011

Am I Really a Christian? by Mike McKinley

Am I Really a Christian? (9Marks)imageAm I Really a Christian? by Mike McKinley
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

MY REVIEW:

Convicting. Encouraging. Challenging.

I always approach books on this topic with a bit of anxiety - wondering if I will walk away with more questions than when I begun. However, this book ranks first in the several I have read on this topic because it not only answered all my questions, but did so with great clarity. McKinley does not beat around the bush and present pages of lengthy explanation, rather he takes you back to Scripture for the answers. This book is a 140 page handbook for those who are willing to ask themselves the hard question of: "Am I really a Christian?".

Despite the sober subject and deep content, Mike helps ease the tension with his sprinkling of humor throughout the book. At first this may seem out of place, but as you read you feel as if you are having a personal conversation with a trusted mentor. He also provides great word pictures that take some difficult concepts and make them so much easier to understand. The book is also hands-on and interactive due to the "How To Respond" section at the end of each chapter. It is a good blend of book and Bible study combined into one cover and is suitable for individual or group use as well as appropriate for both teens and adults.

I was convicted and encouraged by this book. It helped me see some weak areas of my life and direct me to passages in the Bible that helped me determine my answer to the question: Am I Really a Christian? Whether you can answer that question without thinking about it or not, I highly recommend this book. Anyone who reads it will walk away benefiting from it...it's just that they may not benefit from it as they first expected. It's short, it's easy to read, founded on the Bible, and Christ centered. It is a great stand-alone read or a fabulous follow-up read to Because He Loves my, or Living the Cross Centered Life, or books of like kind.

Am I Really a Christian? is more than what meets the eye at first glance. This is a "really should read" book that packs quite a punch.

BOOK OVERVIEW:

Wheaton IL¬—Some stats indicate that nearly 80% of Americans identify themselves as Christians. Mike McKinley has noticed a concerning trend: There are far too many people who think that they are Christians, but aren’t actually in Christ. He likens it to people who claim to be “huge Yankees fans” but don’t watch games, don’t know the lineup, or the stats, and only ride the team’s glory around playoff time for the exciting World Series victory.
In Am I Really a Christian?, McKinley argues that there is much at stake in the decision to follow Christ, and it is crucial to know where you stand and what it means for your life.
McKinley writes with a genuine love and concern for those in the church. He asks tough questions in order to plead with readers who may not be running the race marked out in God’s Word to change course. Emphasizing the importance that Jesus and Paul placed on this issue, McKinley guides readers through Scripture to show what the Bible says about genuine faith.

* * * * *

The review copies were courtesy of Crossway and Amazon.com. The opinion expressed is strictly my own.

1 comment:

We want your feedback! Please share your thoughts and opinions with us!

Related Posts with Thumbnails