Saturday, May 01, 2010

Cecil & Friends by Andrew McDonough

Cecil & Friends is a series of book for children ages 4 to 7 that share and teach Biblical truth in a lighthearted way.  To read one these books online, join Cecil over at his website – just click here – after reading the reviews!

Dave the Donkey, An Easter Story (Cecil and Friends) Dave the Donkey, An Easter Story by Andrew McDonough

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

MY REVIEW:

Normally I don't like Bible accounts that are told in a cartoon style. However, Dave the Donkey is different. While it has a silliness about it with some of the lighthearted pictures, it also packs the simple truth of the Easter story from the perspective of a young donkey and his grandfather donkey. My children quickly picked up on the real life Bible account that this book was retelling and enjoyed both the somber and joyful moments this book dealt with. As long as this is not the only book you read to your kids about the Easter account - which should be a no-brainer! - this is a great resource to read/own for a unique look at God's gift to us.

 image

The Gardener and the Vine by Andrew McDonough

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

MY REVIEW: This cute and cartoon style book takes John 15:15 and turns it into a unique story for children. While I am not so sure my children fully understood the meaning and application of this story, it is a great to introduce this biblical concept to young minds. It's simple, straightforward, and lighthearted all the while being deep with truth. My children enjoyed this book and I enjoyed reading it to them!

 

Jesus and the Children Jesus and the Children by Andrew McDonough

My rating: 2 of 5 stars

MY REVIEW:

This is a good example of how just because you have loved other books by an author it does not mean you will like all of his books. While I like the Biblical message of Jesus and the Children I did not like how it was was portrayed with a modern flair. I can handle and even appreciate the cartoon aspect if done with respect, but this just took a twist that made it hard to explain to young children - even ages 4 to 7 - about the real account found in the Bible.

* * * * *

Thanks go out to Zondervan for all of these review copies.

* * * * *

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]
Related Posts with Thumbnails