Sunday, May 16, 2010

Friendship for Grown-Ups by Lisa Whelchel

Friendship for Grown-Ups: What I Missed and Learned Along the Way image Friendship for Grown-Ups: What I Missed and Learned Along the Way by Lisa Whelchel

My rating: 2 of 5 stars

MY REVIEW:

I have mixed emotions about this book.

The book is about friendships, but the first half is more an auto-biography of Lisa's friendships. The last half of the book gives some meat to chew on as she writes about the difference between God's law and grace along with how to deal with conflict and and how to be real.

I appreciate Lisa's honest and open sharing through out the book. It took courage on her behalf and for that I admire her. However, I felt overwhelmed by everything that she shared. While I agree with the overall principles that are spoken of, I don't agree with some of the psychology expressed within this book.

Lisa does write an excellent explanation of God's grace and how it can change your life. And what she shares about dealing with conflict in chapter 11 is very helpful. There are some great resources in the multiple appendixes as well.  But overall this book seems a bit disjointed.  Lisa’s intent wasn’t to write a “how-to” book, but with all the stories and experiences she shares, it could really use the balance of application.

There are some very encouraging parts in this book and some very heavy parts, too. Friendships for Grown-Ups is written for adult women and I would highly suggest that only adult women read it because of the emotionally deep content.

* * * * *

This review copy was provided courtesy of BookSneeze.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We want your feedback! Please share your thoughts and opinions with us!

Related Posts with Thumbnails