Friday, May 21, 2010

This Fine Life Review -- Kristina's Opinion

This Fine Life This Fine Life by Eva Everson


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Mariette's parents had conflicting aspirations for their only daughter. Her mother felt she should marry a man of "means" and take her place among the community as a dutiful housewife and philanthropist. Her father dreamed of her obtaining a college degree and eventually running the family business. Both dreams were dashed the summer that Mariette decided to run away with the love of her life, Thayne and get married. After coming to terms with the decision they've made, Thayne and Mariette settle down into the every day ins and outs of married life. But what happens when the man you married turns out to have a different plan for his life than you thought? What happens when God calls your husband to a place neither of you planned? This Fine Life follows Thayne and Mariette Scott through their first few years of marriage and subsequently their first few years of ministry.

When I first picked up This Fine Life I must admit I was skeptical. A book set in the 1960's is not normally my cup of tea. I dove in, however and I was thrilled to see a well-written novel full of real-life difficulty. A girl distressed about what she was going to do with her life; a man in her life who had a somewhat hidden past; their passionate love and the decisions they made together were enough to engross me in this story. Eva Marie Everson is to be applauded for her character development and her settings. ALL of the characters in this story were very real and believable; a trait that is hard to come by in fiction. I enjoyed reading this book and I was even sad when it was over! I wanted to know more about Thayne, Mariette and their family. I give this book four stars and would recommend it to anyone!

A copy of this title was provided by Baker Publishing Group for Review. This has in no way affected the content of this review. Thank you for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We want your feedback! Please share your thoughts and opinions with us!

Related Posts with Thumbnails