Monday, February 21, 2011

How To Read More Books: “But I don’t have enough time!”

HowTo_Page_0Over the past few months my life has just seemed to be so busy that reading has – brace yourselves – taken a back burner.

*GASP!*

I know.

*Sigh*

How could I – thee book addict – have let it slip out of my normal, every day routine?

What I have learned in the past, and am now learning once again, is that “if you don’t use it, you loose it”.  While it is not true with all things, like riding a bike or such, I do believe it is with the passion for reading.

When I do not read on a regular basis as part of my daily routine it is ever so easy for me to let it slip.  I forget how much I enjoy the simple pleasure of reading; of learning, getting caught-up in a story, or being challenged to grow.  It is easy to let the little details – like folding laundry, keeping my sink free of dishes, or making me bed! – distract me from taking just 5 minutes to read. 

Yes, I do know that making the bed, folding clothes, and doing dishes are all important parts of my role as wife and mother.  However, growing spiritually through challenging and uplifting reading is also important.

So I simply want to say…

…if you feel like you don’t have time to read…

…stop and read!

NO!

NO “BUTS…”!

Simply….

  • Grab a book
  • Set the timer for 5 minutes
  • Read until the timer goes off
  • Put the book down and go on

You will find that as you do you will awaken your hunger for reading and find yourself either moving faster to accomplish your tasks or deciding that maybe Facebook or browsing the web or cleaning the cob webs from under the sofa are not as important as you thought they were for the day!

Try it!

*Grin*

You’ll like it!

 

For more great suggestions on how to read more – once you get back into reading – read this post about 12 easy tips to do so.

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

We want your feedback! Please share your thoughts and opinions with us!

Related Posts with Thumbnails